Wednesday, March 14, 2012

CAM = Miss Happy

Yesterday I went to pick CAM up from ballet (if you don't know, they have a ballet teacher come to her preschool, so on Tuesdays she leaves class at the end of her day and stays later for ballet), and many of the teachers and other moms were in the hall, chatting and waiting for ballet class to end.

First, the director of the preschool came over to me and asked if CAM is ever, ever sad.  She told me how CAM is just boundlessly happy, always cheerful, and even if she's frustrated with something, she'll say, "I need to figure out how a way to [whatever]" instead of acting frustrated.  That was really sweet and made my day, and I told her that although I, for one, definitely DO get grumpy and hate everyone (yes, I told her I hate everyone.  No point in lying, right?  She laughed, but I think she partly laughed out of polite fear. I'm not sure she knew what to do with me.) that I supposed we really do work hard on not throwing fits or giving up when we have a problem.  I don't think I'd ever thought about it before, to tell the truth, so it's not like I'm tooting my own horn here.

Then ballet class was over, and I went and got CAM, and on our way back out two more teachers stopped us to ask if she is really, truly, always this happy and cheerful.  They asked, "Does she EVER get sad?"  And I said, truthfully, that of course she does, especially if we talk about one or two specific topics.  But generally speaking, she is happy.  Always?  No -- and certainly we see more of the grumpies at home than they see at school.  We get the meltdowns and all the stuff that goes with them.

But, what a compliment. 

It really made my day, that three separate people would seek me out to say just how delightful CAM is at school.  I suppose we're doing something right over here, after all.   When I was a kid, I loved, loved, LOVED the Little Miss, Little Mister books.  And here I am, raising my own...


--Jen

p.s.  on a completely unrelated note, I just put my hand to my face while I re-read the above, and it smells like Thomas the Tank Engine toothpaste. 

No comments:

Post a Comment