Wednesday, April 25, 2012

MIA? That's me!

Sorry, folks!  It's been strangely busy and not busy here at the same time.  Both kids are in school and Mick's not home, so I am sitting here listening to the washing machine whirr and thought I'd fill you in on my absence.  Prepare to be mesmerized bored to tears.  Maybe I'll play with fonts or something to keep you awake.

First, Mick went out of town last Friday early, early, early, so I've been on my own since then.  Thank goodness he'll be home in a few hours.  We redheads miss him.  But when he's gone I really try to NOT spend all my time in front of my computer (since I spend enough time at my desk when I tutor, anyway ... but more on that in a sec).

Second, since we're essentially committed to moving this summer, I've been trying to organize/sort/purge. There's also a neighborhood yard sale this coming Friday and Saturday, and if I can capitalize on that traffic and sit in my garage with some unwanted stuff for a few hours each day, I would like to, so that's been a good motivator.  (Personally, I like yard sales.  I don't know why, but I do.  My sister and I try to have one every summer if we can swing it.  It's not a lot of work and gives us an excuse to sit outside in the warmth, chat all day, people watch, and then it usually buys us dinner.)  So I've been sort-of packing and sort-of sorting, and sort-of checking out what's going to the sale ... nothing's priced, of course, but I can do that as the sale happens. Not worried about little details like that!  Nothing some masking tape and a Sharpie can't fix!

I have also had -- yet again, I feel like -- an unusual number of tutoring cancellations and yesterday was especially frustrating.  Three kids cancelled or just flat-out didn't show up, in a span of two hours.  That's a serious chunk of change, and since I don't work outside the home and the school year ends in about two weeks, I was ... hmmm ... stressed?  Freaking?  SERIOUSLY annoyed?  All of the above, really.  Anyway, that's been a blessing and a curse.  A blessing because I've been able to take that time to play with the kids (have you seen our living room?  We add on every day!) But a curse because, as I said, this is my mini-livelihood.  We have made a lot of sacrifices for me to stay at home and the tutoring I do really helps!

Okay, no one really cares about that.  What else has been going on?

I haven't been cooking much.  I've been making the PW chicken breasts from her Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe* and just using them with pasta and rice.  I went on a serious chicken kick this week and really need to scale it back.

Also, I was craving tuna salad, so I opened a GIANT can of tuna we had in our pantry.

Big mistake.

I thought it was about 4 times the size of a regular can.  Umm, no.  I don't know what made me think that, looking back on it.  But that was a grave mistake. 

You see, it's more ten times the size of a regular can, if not bigger.  Normally when we make tuna, we make two cans and there's leftover for a Scooby Snack.  This, my friends, is not leftovers.  This is enough to feed a marching band. 

I seriously have a lifetime supply of tuna salad.  I love tuna, but even I can only eat so much.  I hope Mick's in the mood for tuna, because I hate to throw it away, but unless I drive over to the local high school and serve it in the lunch line, it's looking like we're throwing away food this week.  Whoops.

What else ... well, CAM and I finally sat down and did all her thank you notes from her birthday party.  They came out super cute, and I wrote the message and she signed her name.  What a blessing to have a hand cramp from all the thank-you's we had to write!  

And I applied for that job, so now I am just trying to revise my resume to apply for a few more where there's not such a time crunch.  Wish me luck!

--Jen

*My simplified recipe:  take boneless, skinless chicken breasts and put them on a cookie sheet lined with foil or parchment paper.  Brush them with oil.  (I use light olive oil so it's not got a very strong taste of its own.)  Mix together 2 parts cumin, 2 parts chili powder, 1 part garlic powder, and 1 part salt and sprinkle all over the chicken.  Go heavier on any of the four you think you want to stand out.  Bake at 375 20-40 minutes until the chicken is done.  Seriously it is the juciest, most flavorful chicken, EVERY time!  And so easy to clean up -- one pan and one small bowl to mix your seasonings!

No comments:

Post a Comment