Sunday, February 5, 2012

One Cake Pan Down ...

I actually already baked in this ages ago, but thought it was perfect for today's big game.  I didn't think today was the right time to try piping, so I got a little creative with the computer (thank goodness for right-clicking and a color printer).  I think it came out great, especially because it was totally a lazyman's cake.  I didn't pipe, and I didn't make the field edible -- something I actually debated doing, but my laziness won out.  Heck, I didn't even grease and flour the pan; I sprayed it with Pam!  (That's why you'll see some air bubbles in the cake itself. I just didn't have it in my to clean this pan last night, so I sprayed instead of flouring.  I already said -- lazyman's cake!)

I used the recipe that came with the cake pan, and it's a pound-cake-ish cake.  I forgot to spread the batter up over the base of the stadium, but that actually worked out perfectly because it allowed the area for the field to be that much bigger.  The cake also has a sugar glaze all over, which is what makes it shiny.
cell phone photo

cell phone photo

cell phone photo


camera photo

camera photo

camera photo

I did my best to make the field reflect what we'll actually see later today -- the AFC and NFC logos, the NFL logo and the Super Bowl logo, and of course the Patriots and the Giants, but I didn't want to try to make it too realistic and end up having it look sloppy.  (I tend to think the more details, the more opportunity for making it look amateur -- think, Cake Boss compared to Ace of Cakes.  Although Ace of Cakes actually does details amazingly well, too.  Okay, nevermind, bad analogy.  But anyway, that's also why I didn't do any piping on the outside of the stadium.  As I already said, this wasn't the day to practice my piping skills.)  The only thing I am genuinely disappointed with is the fact that I wasn't able to find just red, white, and blue nonpareils either as a mix or in single-color bottles, and so I had to use the rainbow mix.  I think it would have looked better if the stands looked like they were filled with Pats (okay, and Giants) fans.   What I really need to do is find myself a real baking/candy-making supply store, and not just Michael's.  Groan. I know where there are such stores on LI and in NH, but for where we live now, I have no clue.

If you're wondering, the field is acrylic craft paint on card stock, and where the cake actually would touch the card, it's protected by freezer paper.  No one's eating paint, I promise, and in the second photo you can actually see some of the freezer paper under the stadium.

What do you think?  I vote this a success.   Oh, and yes -- there are intentionally more Pats flags.  Forget symmetry, we're going for loyalty, subtle as it may be!

--Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment