Saturday, January 7, 2012

Santa Claus Comes Tonight!

Yes, I know.  It's January 7, and many of you have had your tree and Christmas decorations down for almost two weeks now.  But Santa comes to our house a little later, you see, because we were out of town for Christmas.  (And it really makes no sense to Mick or me to ship everything there just to ship it all back.)

And now, finally, after almost three long years weeks away visiting friends and family in various states not anywhere close to ours, we are at home and Santa can visit us here.  Here, we'll snuggle in our own beds and wake up in our own house, and Santa will come and Mick and I will leave gifts out, and the stockings -- which have been hanging limp for weeks -- will be full by morning.   The kids are bubbling over with excitement tonight, and it's really pretty cool and everything that Christmas should be.  (Just a little late, is all.)

Sounds exhausting, doesn't it?!  It gets better:  we shop year-round for Christmas in this household, and yet manage to never wrap anything 'til Christmas Eve!  So, assuming the kids ever even go to sleep tonight, Mick and I have a full night ahead of us wrapping and putting everything out. And I might sound like I am complaining, and the truth is that I am completely exhausted as I sit here and type this (listening to the kids playing in the hallway, even though I tucked them into bed).   But I know -- because it happens every year -- that once the kids are asleep and we get to work, the magic I've been missing for three weeks will fill my heart and it really, finally, will be Christmas ... just a little late. 

Merry Christmas, everybody! 

-Jen

p.s.  I can't help it, but I have Christmas at Our House by Lou Monte in my head.  Can you hear it?  It's Christmas at our house, the door is open wide ... It's Christmas at our house, don't knock!  Just come inside! 


p.p.s  My paragraph about three long weeks wasn't meant to say we didn't enjoy our trip; just that it is long, and a long time to be away from home.  And we're thankful to have these "problems," I assure you, but we are also thankful to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment