Monday, August 27, 2012

Updates (in a hurry)

I promise that this will NOT be my MO from now on, but it's been a busy few days here and I am trying to catch up on more things than I can even remember.  In the interest of keeping it all straight in my head while that's even remotely possible (and not keeping you wondering where I am), I thought I'd do a quick update.

So, in outline form with details in more posts later:

1.  My birthday was good.  I made it through the day with only minimal tears, only one neighbor's mailbox knocked down and only one side-view mirror mangled.  Yes, that happened.  But in the end, it was a good day that ended with a red velvet cupcake.

2.  My parents were in town as of Thursday, and my in-laws were in town as of Saturday.  It was a busy weekend!  I did absolutely nothing related to school/my new job, but it was delightful to just decompress.  And we ate well.  :)

We took my parents to L.L. Bean's flagship store in Freeport Friday evening.  Here are Mick and my dad trying their hand at knots.  In the kids' section. 

3.  I have the best friends in the world.  I already knew that, but I can't say enough thank-you's to everyone who privately sought me out to tell me, "it will be okay," or, "you are awesome," or a combination of the both.  I can't tell you how many messages made me cry.  I don't deserve you guys, I really don't!

4.  I made it through CAM's orientation tonight AND my own Day 3.  Many thanks go to Mick, who helped me to organize and moderately decorate my room, which -- although it's not nearly the way I would like it -- has made all the difference in the world to me today. 

5.  At CAM's orientation I was able to score a "sale" jumper and two clearanced shirts!  Who knew?!  I've been buying up uniform pieces here and there for a few months now, but the specific jumper outfit and the pieces with the school crest were all still on my list.  Not only did we buy her the uniform jumper and shirts, but we also got her gym uniform and saved a gazillion dollars in the process.  Whoo hoo! 


6.  Everyone at my new school continues to amaze me with how nice they are and, surprisingly compared to places I have taught in the past, how genuinely happy they are with where they are.  Dare I say morale is high at my new school?  It's refreshing and I find myself happier just because everyone else is!   I have even made some friends that I genuinely consider friends.  Who knew this was even possible?!  Whoo hoo again!

7.  I still have two recipes to cook by the end of the month -- which happens to also be the end of the week.  YIKES!!!  Bananas Foster and Mint Chocolate Brownies are on the agenda.  Prepare yourselves.

8.  We expected to get back to Georgia by now, but for various reasons it proved impossible/impractical to make the trip in the past few weeks.  Now we are in the no-man's land where going down will be considerably more difficult and since I have a new job, there are things we/I need that we didn't anticipate wanting or needing (or at least, not yet).  The fact that I have a job is good, but it has exacerbated the pain of the missing items.  Worse:  among those still-in-Georgia things, we realized CAM's backpack is still down there.  We had no expectation that we wouldn't have been back to get it by now and neither Mick nor I realized we didn't have it with us to begin with (I mean, we have the kids' lunchboxes, for goodness' sake!) ... so, tomorrow after work we are heading back over to Freeport to buy a new LLBean backpack for CAM. If there's anything I hate, it's buying something twice... so I am not happy about this.  I'm thinking we'll get her the next bigger size up, so that it's not a total duplication of efforts.  But still.  If you know me in real life, you know that I am not happy with this situation, trivial as it may be. 

Well, that's about it!  I refuse to be grumpy!  I am gradually accepting my new reality and things are going okay.  I won't complain ... or at least, not tonight.  Happy Monday, everyone!

--Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment