Friday, September 28, 2012

Pasta with Pancetta and Leeks

Seriously.  I had a little downtime today at work and decided to go to The Pioneer Woman blog, and this is what I came upon.  This isn't a cooking club recipe, but it was easy to make, relatively fast, and absolutely delicious.  That's a triple-win if you ask me.  And it wasn't even expensive!  Home run!

Yes, it's another pasta dish, and yes, it calls for heavy cream again.  So what.  It's worth it.  As Emeril once told me*, you ever have anything to eat and wonder what makes it taste so good?  Butter and cream!  I highly recommend you stop whatever you're doing and get your grocery list ready for this.

Here's what you need:  Leeks.  PW says to use three, but our grocery store only had seriously humongous ones, so we used one and a half and it was more than enough.  Pancetta. (If your grocery store, like mine, doesn't have it behind the deli counter, you can find it over by the deli cheeses and salamis, etc.  You might need to circle the entire grocery store twice and search this same area three times, but it should be there.  It's especially likely to be there if no one in the entire store even seems to know what pancetta is, and the butcher, whom you walk by four times, is one the phone.  Just sayin'.)  Pasta -- we used bowties.  Cream.  The recipe calls for heavy cream but I used up my light cream I bought the other day.  White wine.  Butter.

Before you do anything, get the water going for the bowties.  Bowties always take me FOREVER to cook.  Forever.  So start those puppies first.  Then while that's going, slice up the leeks and throw them in a pan with the pancetta.  The pancetta will render up and the leeks will soften.  Once they are mushy, throw in some butter.  Once it melts, add the wine and when that cooks off, throw in the cream.  Stir the whole sauce into the cooked pasta.  Grate some fresh parmesan over the top.

Eat. 

I didn't take any pictures, so feel free to check out Ree Drummond's post here, and here's a picture from her blog.  

link: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/07/pasta-with-pancetta-and-leeks/
My plate looked just as amazing, and I assure you that I am NOT being sarcastic.

--Jen
* Okay, so he didn't tell me personally.  But I promise I saw him say it to his audience one time. 

1 comment: