Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Pioneer Woman: Patsy's Blackberry Cobbler

Confession: I have never before made a cobbler.
Fact:  I love cobblers, especially warm apple cobblers.
Idea:  Make this cobbler, pronto!

PW:  Patsy's Blackberry Cobbler

Verdict:  Easy, quick, and delicious
Cook it again: Absolutely, and I'll try other berries, too
Cost Factor: Blackberries.

I've got two words for you:  Easy, tasty.  Okay, make that three words:  light.

Jennifer over at Come Rain or Come Shine said she's made this a whole bunch and it works with any berries.  I believe it.

It's easy -- milk, self-rising flour, sugar; add the berries; cover with sugar; bake.

The top gets a sprinkling of regular old sugar to bake into the crust.  The blackberries are all sitting on the batter, but they sink as it bakes.
It's light and tasty -- not at all a heavy cobbler.  I was a bit worried that this would be too dense for a summertime dessert, but that's not the case at all.  This is about as light a cobbler as I've ever had.

10 minutes before it's done, you sprinkle a little more sugar on the top.  This is when it was totally done. The sugar really is melted despite not appearing that way.
I don't really know what more to say except that I loved this last night for a nice, warm dessert, and I ate it for breakfast this morning and loved it then, too.  All I did last night was cover it with waxed paper and then tin foil and leave it on the counter -- twenty seconds in the microwave was all it took and it was right back to last night's right-out-of-the-oven goodness.  (I am sure my parents are wondering if I have turned into my grandmother, what with the waxed paper before the tin foil, and the answer is no, I have not; but I didn't want to risk any reaction between the berries and the foil, so I buffered it with the waxed paper.  Plus, I wrapped the cobbler when it was still warm, and I thought the waxed paper would absorb any condensation on the foil so water wouldn't drop onto the cobbler and make it gooey by the morning.)

One thing I did have to do for this was to buy self-rising flour.  So now my pantry has:

00 Flour (extra-fine Italian flour for pasta-making)
All Purpose Flour
Bread Flour
Cake Flour
Wondra
and now, Self-Rising Flour

Before you ask, yes, I use it all.  But even I admit that it's a little crazy.  Of course, I also have granulated sugar, confectionary sugar, dark brown sugar, decorating sugar, "muffin" sugar (raw sugar, and it has a fancy name that escapes me at the moment), and light brown sugar, so maybe it's not that strange.  I bake and cook a lot; I need lots of different-but-similar stuff.

Delicious enough that I'm now going to go scoop myself some more. 
--Jen

3 comments:

  1. I've even made it with frozen berries in the winter - comes out great every single time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this with blueberries. During baking the berries all rose to the top. Any idea why?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liane, thanks for reading! I really don't know why that would happen, but I have two ideas. First, maybe it has to do with the weight/air ratio of the blueberries as compared the blackberries? Second, most of the blueberry cobbler recipes I have seen actually say to put the berries in first and then pour the batter over them. I'm wondering if that's precisely because the blueberries will rise in this kind of batter. (It doesn't happen in muffins, but that's a denser batter.) I wish I knew the real reason, though!

      Delete