Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Not the Healthiest Pinterest Dinner Ever

Every once in a while, we like to do "free apps" for dinner.  (If you've seen the movie Beautiful Girls, you might get this reference.  If not, first of all, you're missing out, and second of all, Beautiful Girls came out long before smart phones -- we're talking about appetizers.  Sorry for the confusion.)  

Anyway, we had no plans for dinner tonight and had bounced a few ideas around without any firm decision, and then I saw this recipe on Pinterest and sent Mick an email*:

"Not good for us, but good for our souls.  Dinner tonight?"

Then I went to Publix in a monsoon to get the smokies and bacon.  I risked my life for this meal.  (It was worth it.)

And then we ate.

My sister Courtney will be pleased to learn that we pretty much had our dream dinner tonight:  bacon** wrapped in bacon, drowned in butter and sugar, finished with Fudgsicles for dessert.

To explain:

Wrap lil smokies in bacon.  Each smokie takes 1/3 of a strip of bacon.

We like to dress up to cook around here. 
If you don't have time to freeze the bacon before you cut it in thirds, just use kitchen scissors to cut right through the package.  That's what I did, and it worked like a champ (and kept the bacon from sliding, or at least mostly).  You could also take the slab out, lay it on a cutting board, and cut it with a pizza cutter, but the scissors work just as well and you don't have to touch the bacon and get all slimy while you hold it in place for the pizza cutter. 

Lay them all in a baking pan.


Melt a stick of butter with one cup of brown sugar.

It's surprisingly viscous.  Kinda like melted caramel.   Sorry for the photo quality.  You know all those bloggers who say how hard it is to take a photo while you cook?  They're right.
Pour over your bacon-wrapped bacon smokies.

Sprinkle another cup of brown sugar over the top of everything.


Bake 20 minutes at 375, and then another 5 minutes at 400, or until the bacon crisps up.

They could have been crispier, but we weren't waiting any longer. 
Devour.

Eat Fudgsicles.

Feel sorry for your sister who moved to Florida and didn't get to partake of this sinfully delicious dinner.

--Jen

* Yes, I send my husband emails from my office to where he sits in the living room.  It's a whole ten steps!  TEN STEPS! And so much easier than saying, "Hey, Mick, would you come here for a sec please?"  Or, "Hey, Mick, how would you feel about bacon-wrapped-in bacon-and-then-drowned-in-butter-and-sugar for dinner?"  Nope.  Email.  And then I holler, "Hey, Mick!  Check your email!" 

**Okay, okay, so lil smokies aren't bacon.  Close enough.

1 comment:

  1. I have seen these on pinterest. Every time I see them I wonder if you immediately die of a coronary problem once you've eaten them. I'm glad to see you are all still alive.

    I snort laughed at the emailing so you don't have to shout but then shouting "check your email." Love it.

    ReplyDelete