Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Facebook "Discussions"

Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Why must I remind myself every six months or so that political discussions on Facebook are inevitably (and almost invariably) a fool's game?!  They regress, almost without question, to personal or ad hominem attacks.  

Somehow yesterday, I managed to get into not one, but two "discussions."  One managed to remain civilized, and had an enjoyable and intellectual banter among a decent-sized group.  I actually learned something, even if my opinion wasn't swayed.  The other discussion was much smaller and has one guy still out there batting in the rain when the ballpark lights are off, insisting on the last word, slinging personal attacks.  At me.

Shame on me for even playing ball at all.  I should know better.

Sigh.  Do any of you guys ever do this to yourself?  How do you not go crazy?!

--Jen

1 comment:

  1. I do try to avoid political discussions on facebook because I feel that people often don't do the necessary research to carry on an intelligent discussion and it frustrates me to a degree that I can't even begin to discuss. I did have to point out some mathematical principles on a post because people don't understand the difference between the amount of the debt that a person has raised and the percent increase of the debt... so in all of my mathematical brain and educational experience, I chose to make it a teachable moment :)

    ReplyDelete