Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Sweet As Pie: Mini Mediterranean Meatloaves

I won't lie: When I first saw this recipe, I thought, "oh, that's a skipper." 

See, it has hummus. And ground turkey.

In fact, I was going to just say "ditto" to Jennifer's post, because I was in 100% agreement ... except that I hadn't yet cooked it. (It was uncanny! When I read her post it was as if I'd written it.  In fact, that may be the single thing that actually convinced me to make the recipe at all, because given her initial take and similar likes/dislikes to my own, I trusted her judgment when she gave it a good review.)

Then I took a step back and realized that I really do love me some Mediterranean food: feta, kalamata olives, olive oil ... and really, other than the turkey (who needs to be so healthy, anyway?!) and the hummus, I could do it.  Besides, a recipe calls for olives and it's not a martini?  I'm in.  Hold the flight, I'm on my way.

The one downside is that I didn't get to cook these before the end of April, because Mick has spent some time out of town and I don't like to cook new stuff without my co-taster.  So I'm a little late here (we made these tonight), but they were totally worth it.

And no, I never thought I would say that!

Mini Mediterranean Turkey Meatloaves

Verdict: a pleasant surprise
Cook it again:  Yes, I think so!
Cost factor:  Hmm.  Tricky.  Depending on the week, some of this is in our fridge and some isn't.  Mick went shopping today especially for this recipe.  We had an empty fridge, and the total was $27-ish.  Not bad, but would have been better if we'd been grocery shopping in the past, oh, three weeks.

I wish I knew more about cooking, because this is one of those recipes where I am not sure what the effect would be if we did some things differently.  For example, the recipe has hummus on the top of the meatloaves (it was fine, but I wasn't sure what it was for), and in the mix -- and I think the stuff in the mix was to help keep the loaves moist, but I can't say for sure.

I still don't like hummus, by the way.  I even tried it while I was cooking to see if I could put on my grown-up pants, but it just did not work for me.

Don't worry: I ate it on the meatloaves -- it's different, I think, in that context as opposed to as a dip.

Here's how it all came together:

Diced red onion, parsley, oregano, feta, hummus, kalamatas, panko, an egg, dried basil, and ... wait, I think that's it.
All the players.  I tried so hard to get the color right in this photo; this is the best I could do.  This is actually pretty accurate -- it was a pretty purple-ish set-up.

A closer shot of all the Mediterranean prettiness.  Afternoon light messed with me, sorry.

... formed into patties and spread with hummus on top. These look like mortadello loaves, don't they?!
When those are in the oven (425!  Hot!), get your assistant to help with the garnish.


It's essentially seeded and diced cucumber and tomato with fresh-squeezed lemon, some olive oil, salt, pepper, and fresh basil.  

And, voila!  It's a pretty little thing, huh?  And pretty tasty, too!


--Jen

1 comment:

  1. Looks so much better than the meatloaf I made tonight. NICE!

    ReplyDelete