Thursday, October 25, 2012

I miss LOTS of stuff today

Against my better judgment, I took my kids to WalMart today.  I had to run to Kohl's (I wanted picture frames for a project I wanted to do at school tomorrow) and the grocery store, and I decided that I could just bite the bullet and accomplish both of those errands with a dash to WalMart.

Bad idea.

I hate this WalMart and have promised and sworn that I would never go back.  Today I had a lapse in judgment and decided to give it another try.

I ended up actually being afraid for my safety.

There was a woman there in the requisite pajama-pants flannel bottoms (with some awful cartoon on them, can't say I know what), flip-flops (it was 55 degrees out), too-tight, too-short shirt and with some crazy hairdo that I am not sure really constituted a "'do" as much as a "Do Not.  Ever." She had with her people I can only imagine were her two kids and her husband.  She was, of course, yelling at all three of them.  They were on the right side of the aisle heading towards me as I walked on the left side.  So I looked at her.  And she had approximately 8 piercings in her lips, huge circles under her eyes, and looked like she was no stranger to fights.  And because she was yelling and because I looked at her -- not stared at her, not stared her down, but merely looked to UP to see what the fuss was as I walked down the same aisle as she was in -- she stared me down.  And continued to do so for the next three aisles.

I got the hell out of that s-- hole and promised myself and my kids and God and everyone in the universe never to go back.  Fearful that some drug-addled freak was going to hurt me or my kids at 4:30 in the afternoon because she thought in her whatever-it-was that I was looking at her funny?

Two things.

1.  I need to carry.

2.  I will never, ever need to return to that WalMart.  EVER.  So help me God, there is nothing on this earth that I need that I can't find elsewhere or do without.

Thank you for reading.  I am done.  I was already in a funky mood this afternoon -- that awful combination of exhaustion and feeling overwhelmed and "homesick," and that little experience was just the icing on the cake.  I don't mean to be Debbie Downer.

Best of all?  I was so busy beating feet out of that place, I forgot the dang picture frames! 

Pouring myself a glass of wine and calling it a night ...  I think we'll all agree that's a good idea, no? 

--Jen

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry you had to see me that way. I was having a really bad day. I think one of my piercings may have been infected.

    ReplyDelete