Monday, January 27, 2014

Some Ancient Calendar Wisdom

Nope, not from an ancient calendar.

Okay, actually totally from an "ancient" calendar -- the same one I was so excited about when I started this blog!  I found some quotes I had cut out and which made the move with us, but which never saw the light of day in Maine until recently.  Normally I'd spread them out over a few posts based on my mood, what's been happening in my world, etc. etc.  But these are too good -- and I've been sitting on them too long at this point -- to wait any longer.  A lot of them seem particularly relevant to my life at work.  (Awesome new principal notwithstanding, there's a lot of madness at work and I have come home more times than not recently, in fits.)

So, here they are, in no particular order:

Glass, china, and reputation are easily cracked and never well mended.
Benjamin Franklin

When two men in business always agree, one of them is unnecessary.
William Wrigley Jr.

Miracles sometimes occur, but one has to work terribly hard for them.
Chaim Weizmann

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
Albert Einstein

In order to be walked on, you have to be lying down.
Brian Weir

Statistics are no substitute for judgment.
Henry Clay

Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.
Robert F. Kennedy

After all is said and done, more is said than done.
Anonymous

Committee, n: A group of men who keep minutes and waste hours.
Milton Berle

I never gossip, but I can give you the names of certain people who do.
Judy Hampton

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison

Those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything.
George Bernard Shaw

Life is like a game of cards. The hand that is dealt you represents determinism; the way you play is free will.
Jawaharlal Nehru

Be and not seem.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
Napoleon Bonaparte

Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal.
Henry Ford

--Jen

2 comments:

  1. I love these! The Judy Hampton one killed me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it great?! I'm not one to have posters of quotations, but I sure did like these. I miss that calendar!

      Delete